Life's Lessons: Part 1

Sometimes, simple tasks in life can have deeper lessons than the obvious ones. When I was in college, one of our requirements was to complete a practical research project. I as usual, picked an ambitious experiment off the internet, where scientists had successfully produced electricity, enough to light up a tiny bulb, from sewage water, with the help of a chemical mediator. (See: Microbial_fuel_cell). I was extremely fascinated by the idea and how it could end up saving the world, with  an alternative renewable clean energy source.
So i started my project, late as usual. I went in search of the reagent, a chemical called Methyl blue, but I made major mistake. I thought it was called MethylENE Blue. A small difference, but I went to shop and ordered it. After I performed my experiment with the Fuel Cell, I was unable to get the desired results. It is only then that I realized, that it was the wrong mediator that I had used. And it wasn't Methylene Blue, but Methyl Blue. Too late and without any option, I failed in the experiment. My teacher was kind and let me off the hook, but she told me to remember the lessons.

Obvious Lessons:
Lesson One: Do your work in good time. You never know what could go wrong.
Lesson Two: Read instructions carefully. A small mistake can lead to failure.
Lesson Three: Even if you fail, God is willing to forgive, if you remember the lesson.

The Deeper Lesson:
This is a deeper than the obvious lessons, that just struck me recently. Was just wandering around in my mind when I just realized how, The World is like that Microbial fuel cell. we are the E.coli, the living organisms, and we can produce energy even from sewage water, by just doing what we are doing, but using the right chemical reagent/mediator. Then I wondered what could it be? Yes, I am gonna say it again, it's Love. But Love is ambiguous and can be interpreted in an erroneous way by us, leading us to make the same mistake I made. We often choose a lesser love, one that seeks to fulfil our own selfish desires. That seeks quick short term satisfaction, at the cost of loss and pain in the future. We must be careful not to get fooled by the similarity in the name. Love, that's selfless and pure can help us transform even the dirtiest sewage  to produce enough energy to illuminate the world.

No comments: