Life's Lessons: Part 2

This incident happened way back in high school, but it's a lesson I forgot along the way. I recently happened to remember it and it is one of the most important lessons for life.
We had a guest lecturer from South Korea, who had come to teach us English. We were asked to write an assignment about a journey wehad been on. I was excited, and so sure of myself, that I wrote a long essay, up to threee pages, of a school excursion we had been on, to the Esselworld amusement park in Mumbai. I wrote about all the rides, about all the fun we had running all over the park and the enormous amount of fun we had there.
After i submitted it, I was sure I would score the highest. When the assignments were returned, I was surprised to find I had scored only about 60%. I quickly asked the teacher, why I didn't deserve more. She said, "Son, the assignment was to write about the JOURNEY. The journey was what's important. But you only talked about the destination. Don't feel bad son. It was well written and you have a lot of promise."
Then she handed me a chocolate and said, " You are smarter than you think. Don't be discouraged. You've got a long way to go."

No comments: